Sunday, August 1, 2010

Blue Otter School of Herbal Medicine


I arrived to friendly faces, joy, and a spiritual aura.  The school appears to be just what I would want.  I interviewed the teachers and the students and felt after I left that I really didn't need to the farm, class room and sitting in on the curriculum spoke for itself.  I am pretty sure I am going to apply for the spring class in 2011.  The certificate course is full time for 4 months, April-July.  It includes planting, maintaining, cultivating, and harvesting of medicinal herbs. You learn diagnosis of dis-ease from the spiritual angle of the Indigenous cultures and medicine making.  There will be a lot of personal growth in overcoming your own issues so you may be of better service to others. Meditation with the plants is a central focus; developing a relationship with the plants and allowing them to communicate with you.  The first thing we did to begin the day was to meditate in stillness for 10 minutes.  Then we were given a drop of a "mystery" herb and then meditated again for 10 minutes.  We were then asked to describe what we felt and/or visualized remarking on the difference between the 2 meditation sits.  I felt warm along the core of my spine, relaxed completely and was able to quiet my mind easier after the "mystery"
                    herb.  I was spot on....the herb was arnica and has those properties!  The classroom was delightful; full of Indigenous art, herbs drying, books, books, books, and concoctions in jars everywhere! My idea of a sanctuary!  Lola was well received by all and the teacher Karen, says you don't need medicine when you can hold a dog like Lola!  I loved the area, Shasta and the small quaint town that is nearby (20 minutes).  My heart is there!
I am hoping to catch up today on my adventure.....I don't want to forget!
http://www.blueotterschool.com/
Fare thee Well!
Pioneer Janet
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. The Blue Otter School sounds like a perfect fit for you Janet. I'm glad your tour & interviews went so well. I'm a little alarmed at the "mystery" herb scenario. Seems to similar to getting loaded. Hope they have some safe ground rules in place. Keep spiritually fit! Love James

    ReplyDelete